Monday 1 June 2009

All tied up in knots



Having had a nice break over the weekend, I was back to my crafting today and I made a couple of cards using mizuhiki embellishments.



Misuhiki is an ancient Japanese art form that uses special cord made from rice paper. The paper is covered with thin strands of silk or mylar. Originally the mizuhiki knots were used to tie up the hair of the samurai,but nowadays they are used to decorate gift wrapping, cards and jewellery.



I have bought special misuhiki cords to make these cards, but I have seen them made successfully with embroidery threads and cords - which are a lot cheaper!


The book I used to learn to make the knots is called "Knots To You" by C.A. Cota. Its a great little book with lots of easy to follow pics.

I think I might try adding one to a brooch next.

No comments:

Post a Comment