Monday 28 February 2011

House and flowers quilt

Oh dear! I have been such a bad blogger lately.
I just don't know where the time goes. I think about blogging - just don't get round to actually doing it.

I have spent a large part of the past week thoroughly enjoying myself, making a quilt. Not an organic one (those will hopefully materialise soon). This quilt is for my youngest son and his girlfriend, who hope to buy their first house soon.
Just over a week ago, we took a trip to our local quilting shop to get some inspiration for their quilt. I just love  shopping for fabric (or anything come to think of it) when there are no set criteria - just walk in, have a browse and buy whatever jumps out at you.
Well what jumped out at us was a Moda Hunky Dory jelly roll strip, sitting all alone on a shelf. The colours are probably a little more "girly" than my son would appreciate on a bed quilt, but hey, I can add more blues to the outer edges.
I have only done the centre so far which has some pictoral sections - two houses, some flowers and this wonderful bird.

Appliqueing him, adding a button eye and some very long zig zag stitch legs was definitely  my favourite bit so far.


The flowers below the bird and again in the bottom left corner are not finished yet. The next stage is to add a lot of random strips to either side of the panel to make it more square, then there will be a frame and a blueish border - a nice theme for a first home quilt, I think. 
I'd better stop blogging and get back to quilting.

No comments:

Post a Comment